Monday, February 1, 2010

Babytalk

Jasper is turning into quite a chatterbox, and has moved beyond grunts and squeals to almost-words, with ma, da and ga sounds. He definitely sounds like he has a lot he wants to tell us from the moment he wakes up until he goes to bed (and even sometimes in the middle of the night, since he still hasn't gotten back into the habit of sleeping through the night). Odin has started asking "What is Jasper saying?" Too bad he doesn't remember what it's all supposed to mean - it seems he'd have a better idea than we would since he's closer to talking like that than we are!

Anyway, Jasper is very attentive to people and conversations around him and I think he even recognizes his name. Or at least gives a good impression that he does. Last night he and Odin were sitting on the living room playing (Odin had some blocks, Jasper would grab one and Odin would take it away from him - I think he overuses the excuse that Jasper can't play with it because he's a baby, our own fault for teaching him that for the toys that truly do have smaller pieces) and Chad or I would say something about Jasper (usually, "Odin, Jasper can play with that") and Jasper would look up at us when we said his name. Or maybe he would just look up at us when he heard us talking. Whatever, he is definitely part of the conversation now.

He's especially interested in Odin, and it's great to see how easily Odin can make him laugh and keep him entertained in the car. I have a little mirror attached to the back of the seat where Jasper sits so I can spy on him. This morning Odin was talking in a little squeaky voice; Jasper was watching him and I just watched Jasper's smile grow and grow until he was out and out giggling. I hope they continue to like making each other laugh.

No comments: