Monday, December 10, 2007

It's Official...

It's official; Odin is no longer a newborn, and most definitely an infant. He loves to sit up (with help, of course) and quickly gets frustrated if you try to hold him cradled like a baby - he's a big boy and wants to be up and looking around, now that his eyes work properly. He seems to have made the transition to being a part of this world and is happy and smiling most of the time, a huge change from a couple months ago when he was sleeping most of the time and unhappy for a good part of the time he was awake. He talks a lot and enjoys pondering the philosophies of the world. He'll even hang out in our laps for a couple of stories at bedtime and has started reaching out and touching the fuzzy animals in his bedtime book.

He's graduated from the cradle carry in his sling to the front carry. As advertised, this position gives him easy access to his toes, and he loves grabbing onto his feet when I'm carrying him around in the sling. It's also nice because it really does give me two hands free; since he liked his head out in the cradle carry, I still had to use one hand to help support his head. You'll notice I did get a new sling for winter - I figured the fleece would keep him warmer than the twill for winter outdoor use (this is the backup transportation when we're out on stroller walks).
We still like to go to baby storytime,;here are a couple shots of Chad and Odin at storytime last week. We were sitting right up front, so Odin had his eye on every little move Sara made.
Looks like Chad was having fun, too.
After storytime, we met some friends for lunch at a cafe near home, so I took Odin up there in the sling. It was snowing, so I figured it would be kind of a pain to take the stroller, plus, I only had to walk 1.5 blocks and thought I should be able to handle carrying Odin that far. We all had a lovely time at lunch, and Odin fell asleep before we were even halfway home from the cafe. Here he is all crashed out in his sling. Since I had a blanket over his head to protect him from the snow while we were walking, it was a nice surprise to take the blanket off and find him sound asleep!
Odin's had a cold for the last several weeks (it's a Minnesota winter, so who doesn't have a cold, right?), and Friday he wound up with a gunky eye that got him sent home from daycare. Chad picked him up and took him to the dr., got the drops for his eyes and brought him home. Of course, after all that running around, it looked like his eye started clearing up on its own, but we didn't want to risk it, so gave him the drops anyway. Unfortunately it meant that we couldn't go to yoga Saturday morning, so we tried out the DVD and did yoga at home on our own. It was good to go through the routine, but I think we both missed the company of other actual people!

On Sunday, Odin got to watch football with Chad for awhile so I could take advantage of the early season snow and go cross country skiing. It was really fun to get out and it was beautiful! I'm definitely not in the shape I was in last year, but I hope to get back there one of these days. In the meantime, I'll keep getting out for skiing and running; luckily I've got some great Velo Bella teammates who ski and are always looking for company, helping get me motivated to get out of the house!

We ran out of time to get a tree, so hopefully we'll be able to get one tonight or Wednesday night, so it's up before Christmas. Since Odin won't be able to crawl over and pull the tree down this year, I figure we should take advantage of making the house look all festive for him (and us! it's so nice to sit in the house with all the lights off except for the tree and the fire).

No comments: